Monday 25 February 2013

16-17 Feb Brazilia

Up at 5.30am as we still had 430km to go. (Yes, Carol (my sis), lots of early mornings when we have long truck days. Sticking eh!)

Well, Pete said there was nothing to see on the way to Brazilia and he's right. Agriculture and farming land. Oh, Brazilia is the capital of Brazil by the way. Before this trip, I admit to thinking Rio was the capital. All a bit like Canberra/Sydney in Australia I guess. In essence, Brazilia was a purpose built city, made to protect the land in this region from neighbouring countries who quite fancied it and could see it wasn't being used. Now, purpose built makes me think of Milton Keynes and I can't say I am a fan, and with Pete giving us half a day to explore, I was not expecting great things.

There is a political/judicial area which has all the ministry's, all the banks are together, all the hotels are together, there is even an entertainment zone (you WILL have fun HERE and only HERE!) As it turned out, our guide for the morning showed us the key sights and whilst it was only 3 or 4 hours, I enjoyed what I saw. I can't say I would want to live there...the numbered blocks and regimented order of things makes it all feel a bit 1984 to me. Oh no, did I really think that!? The thought police might get me! (sorry, the heat must be getting to me).

Transparent walls for the confessional booth in one of the churches.....bet it doesn't get used much then :-)


Cathedral mean to look like the crown of thorns and the bell meant to look like a chalice


inside


These chaps represent outsiders coming in....like us.....so I thought I would have a cuddle

Main government building, shaped as an H to represent honesty....hmmm



The supreme court....not as impressive as UK or USA/i>


I finally got to witness some capoeira, which for them that don't know, is a martial arts style of dance, of a sorts. It's no contact, fluid martial arts really and was originally the only way for people to practice their fighting skills by dressing them up as dance. We went to a market at the end of our tour and I fell upon a circle of people who were singing, clapping and twanging a couple of basic instruments. It appeared to be a local club or clubs who clearly gather there on a Sunday morning to practice with each other. It was huge fun to watch them all tap in and out and they were clearly having a lot of fun themselves. I have some video but here's a still from it.

Capoeira


Oh, on exiting Brazilia, I saw lots of Brazil's famous "love motels" which rent by the hour for couples to spend some alone time. My camera skills were not fast enough to capture my favourite........the huge billboard sign just had the name of the hotel and a sea of swimming sperm. Nice. Tempting. No, really!

Bridge in Brazilia meant to influence a stone being skimmed over water


Loo sign.....the pictures amused me



For my dad.....how many different styles of pylon does one country need?



No comments:

Post a Comment