Monday 25 February 2013

19-22 Feb - Chapada dos Guimaraes

Another change to the already amended plans due to rain causing muddy roads. Crew were disappointed but we were fine. I mean, they're good but we can't expect them to control the weather. :-) So a night in a hotel in Nobres and then off again, heading for Chapada dos Guimaraes, where we would spend a relaxing 3 nights.

The campsite was basically someone's big, leafy, back garden, which they had thrown up 3 loo's and showers in, with a covered BBQ area at the bottom. Only 100 yards to the town's main square, with its bars and nick nack shops, it as an easy place to spend time, whole others robbed wifi by standing next to the campsite owner's house. This town has my favourite church so far. Sadly no photos as I had no camera when it was open and it wasn't own when I did. Grrr. It was a simple white building from outside, with blue wood doors and windows (a bit rustic Santorini-esque). Inside, it was ornate carved wood but again, quite rustic, and only painted in what as now dull colours. Something about it made me think Antonio Banderas might run through any minute shooting with a pistol in each hand. Luckily he didn't as, if you recall, I didn't have my camera.

I spent one day on a 2km each way trek to vista waterfall where we chilled out with a book in between jumping into the water. Cold at first, then refreshing after a couple of minutes, we all stood under the pounding waterfall.
Neil having a nap at the top of the waterfall








A grasshopper landed on Robin's hat....then hitched a lift for about 20 mins of our trek. Smart move.


Geoff cooking up a storm on the wood burner hot plates


Some did a similar outing the next day but I chose to mooch around town and relax (hide from the rain) back at camp.

Oh, equipment update. My indestructible swatch watch bout in New York 3 months ago has broken. Indestructible my eye! With all the early starts and having to get to cook group on time etc, a watch is essential, so I'm now on th look out. Without an Argos, where does one expect to find a £10 digital/waterproof number in Brazil?

No comments:

Post a Comment