Saturday 20 April 2013

8th - 10th April - Otavalo and off to Quito


Pitching in the dark, yet again, we woke up to beautiful views. Our campsite was high up on the hill, overlooking the town. Otavalo is famous for its market and I got an alpaca jumper for $15! As soon as I got my wallet out, an old lady appeared from nowhere and started stalking me. In the end, I thought I'd give her a dollar to go away, but I got a photo first. :-)

Well, good morning!



Lisa and Francois enjoy the swing and the view


Never too cold to hit the hammocks - Vanessa, Lisa and moi



Mikkel opens his birthday bag of sweets


Traditional dress


Lots of traditional dress here, with the older generation going barefoot to the younger generation's canvas shoes. Women carrying babies on their backs, held on with a shawl, or carrying boxes full of anything else they might want to carry in.
My one dollar stalker


The food market


Churck in town


Nice view on the way I think


A bit of a long day this one, starting with putting balloons on Mikkel's tent at 3am and ending with a party to celebrate his and two other birthdays plus mark Duncan and Angela's departure. Steve did a slide show for Dunc and
Angela with pics of them over the last few months. Cook group did a BBQ. A few of the gang bought his 'n' hers smurf hats for the departing couple. Pete and I 'suprised' Mikkel with the bangers that I had bought a few days before. This seemed to be the highlight of Mikkel's day. Ha. A few of us did a rendition of gangnam style for Duncan (it being his signature dance) and eventually, we went to bed. A top night.

The birthday boys play with cake



Time for the speeches


Jeanne and I on either side of the Equator, on our way to Quito



No comments:

Post a Comment